Post #14: Robert Burns Supper Extra Credit
As my Burns Supper Extra Credit, I put together a costume to reflect something that a Scottish person would wear.
Because of Scottland's geographical location, in my research of Scottish attire, it was common to see multiple layers of clothing. The traditional dress, called the Highland dress, is characterized by a tartan (plaid) pattern that is then accessorized with jackets, badges, and sashes as an indication of family and heritage.
Using these elements, I chose to create a layered tartan look by clothespinning and tying two flannel shirts around a simple, base dress to create a similar look to a Highland dress. As I did not have a plaid skirt, I chose a simple navy dress as a base instead and choose to layer on tartan elements instead. Many looks also included shawls or blazars over a dress, and to create that, I layered a trench coat over the dress. Because of the trench coat's pleated light gray pattern, it actually added to the look to make it seem like I had more tartan elements to complete the outfit, which further establishes the similarities to traditional Scottish attire.

Comments
Post a Comment