Post #11: Where do Monsters Lurk Opening Party
"Since childhood, I've been faithful to monsters - I have been saved and absolved by them, Because monsters, I believe, are patron saints of our blissful imperfection."
- Guillermo del Toro
Using the del Toro quote for inspiration, address the following: You wake up in a world where one of your childhood monster drawings has come to life. Who is this monster? Sketch and label this monster; then discuss how it might reflect one of your imperfections or one of your greatest fears. Then, discuss how you have either defeated or befriended this monster. Write a couple of chunky paragraphs total. You may upload this sketch and write up to Schoology.
I've never been so unprepared to face the monster. It had snuck up on me and pounced when I least expected it. Now, it was towering over me, ready to kill. That's what I thought when I walked into class and saw the podium nested in the front of the room. The pile of rubrics looked like a final court sentencing, and I started to panic. I didn't remember being told that we had to give a presentation in class. I didn't know what it was on, I didn't have a powerpoint prepared, and I didn't have a notecard in my hand.As the bell rang, the teacher stood up to walk to the front of the room. Every step he took resounded through the room, and even as I watched, his eyes seemed to turn red, his hands became talons, his teeth resembled fangs, and his ever-so-pristine suit jacket seemed to elongate until I was watching the ends of a cape sweep the floor behind him. Impending doom seemed to near, as the devil took his place at the front of the room.
Without reading from a notecard, he announced the topic of the presentation and carefully articulated his way through the rubric. Frozen by fear, my eyes two wide ovals and my hands clammy. I had nothing to rely on other than my own knowledge and my voice. Taking a deep breath, I turned back to the devil. I know it’s just my imagination, but the illusion looks real. But the longer I think about it, the steadier my breathing. And slowly, I watch the illusion peel off as the fire in his eyes dies and his talons and fangs retract. Now I’m able to piece together my thoughts. When I open my eyes, the podium looks sad and small with no one next to it, and I’m ready to stand up.
My faith in the monster was only as strong as I choose to believe it- only if I allowed it, the teacher would become a devil, complete with his horns and a tail. Other times, I see ruby red eyes drilling into me, other times, I am able to dispel the illusion. Only then, can I find my voice.
I’m done being a faithful servant; today, I’m as I step up to the podium, I’m ready to be your equal.
Food
Spicy Hot Chocolate
- Bold flavor symbolizes the boldness I needed to have to find my voice
- Hot chocolate is traditionally a very comforting food but made spicy, shows how I had to be pushed out of my comfort zone to become unique

Costume
- The sketch I drew shows a confident person trying to get me to embrace public speaking with devil elements added to show how I perceived this person- Dressed up business casual, but with really bold, daring makeup - red tint
Comments
Post a Comment